Action alert from Bold Iowa –
WHAT: Bold Action Teams (BATs) will mobilize for direct action across Iowa, targeting officials and businesses that have aided and abetted construction of the Dakota Access pipeline.
WHEN: Wednesday, February 22 during “business” hours. Commit for the entire day or for a minimum of 3 hours.
WHERE: In or near your community, at a government office, bank or other place that has supported construction of the pipeline. We’ll have a comprehensive list of targets available shortly before February 22.
WHY: The Dakota Access pipeline isn’t finished. Politicians, public officials and businesses who’ve supported it need to hear that the pipeline is wrong for Iowa and wrong for our planet. Because when we do nothing, when we crawl into our solitude, the forces of greed and injustice win.
* Take Wednesday, February 22 off from work (yes, I know not everyone can, but if you can, it’s important).
* Sign-up for a BAT — we’ll help connect you with folks in your area.
* Meet with your BAT of 5-10 people over coffee on the 22nd to study the message, discuss the code of nonviolence and plan details for the action(s).
* Invite local press to meet your team and travel with you to the action.
* Each team will be led by an experienced leader, someone well-versed in non-violence and capable of effectively directing the action.
ACTION: BATs will occupy the targeted space and read statements, press releases, articles and other material explaining why this pipeline is wrong. One or two members of each BAT will take photos and video. BATs either stay until arrested or until security threatens to arrest them. If BATs choose not to risk arrest, they then either disperse or travel to another site for a second action.
FOLLOW-UP: We’ll have a “hotline” — a BAT-line! — for teams to send photos, video and a brief summary immediately after the action.
Let’s make this big! We need 100 BATs. Sign up here to participate, and include a message indicating your preferred role(s) (i.e., team leader, risk arrest, spokesperson, photographer, videographer, driver).
Onward, through the gauntlet and beyond! – Ed Fallon
Daily Action – My favorite activist tool
I signed up a few weeks ago to make daily phone calls to Congress (and other officials) as part of the Resistance. I am using a tool called Daily Action. https://dailyaction.org/
Every week day you will get a text about the daily call, with a phone number to call for talking points. You enter your zip code and will be connected to your Senator’s or Representative’s Washington office. You go through it twice to reach the other Senator, but it is still quick. If the Washington office is busy, I call the local offices (I have their phone numbers in my favorites).
The first week’s calls included:
- calling for the resignation of Steve Bannon from the White House and National Security Council
- calling Customs and Border Protection (I got connected to Phoenix) to see if they are complying with U.S. laws – or with Trump
- opposing Jay Clayton as chair of the SEC
- against defunding Planned Parenthood
The next week included calls to oppose various Trump cabinet nominees, save the EPA, and to investigate Kellyanne Conway for advertising Ivanka’s product line.
You can read more at their website. I signed up there. But you can also text the word DAILY to the number 228466 (A-C-T-I-O-N). You’ll be prompted to enter your zip code and that’s it – you’re signed up.
Now I just wish we had the same tool for Iowa state and local level actions! Can someone develop that?
Our Senators are planning to hold several Town Hall events over the next two weeks. See Ernst and Grassley schedules below.
The Indivisible Field Team is working with groups and organizing across Iowa.
Indivisible Iowa is also organizing into Iowa state senate and house districts throughout Iowa in closed FB groups.
Click on the link below if you want to join Indivisible Iowa on Facebook.
- Friday 2/17 at 11:30am CST in Corydon, at Betty’s Cafe (101 South Lafayette St)
- Tuesday 2/21 at 1:30pm CST in Maquoketa at the Maquoketa City Hall (201 East Pleasant Street)
- Tuesday 2/21 at 7:45am CST in Iowa Falls at the Iowa Falls Fire Department (218 South River Street)
- Tuesday 2/21 at 2:15pm CST in Garner at the Hancock County Courthouse (855 State Street)
- Thursday 2/23 at 10am CST in Charles City at the Floyd County Courthouse (101 South Main Street)
- Friday 2/24 at 8am in Parkersburg at the Parkersburg Civic Center (502 3rd Street)
If you plan to attend a Town Hall, register your Indivisible Action on our website and take the lead in getting your group to turn out for the event. Registering your action on our website will help other folks in the area connect with you and get involved — growing your voice and impact. We are stronger when we stand indivisible.
If this is your first time attending a Town Hall event, check out our Town Hall Tips for more information about how your group can best leverage the Town Hall to make your voices heard. It would also be a good idea to confirm the time and location of the Town Hall by calling your MoC’s district office.
**Important note from BFIA**
You can join Indivisible Iowa in your House and Senate District.
There is a list here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/370033640032251/permalink/387999414902340/