Right now if I couldn’t laugh about so much of the strange, bizarre and scary stuff going on down the block, in Des Moines and of course in Washington right now I think the pressure would build up to the point of blowing. So Thank You so much to the nation’s comedians who help keep the rage down so we can rationally plan the resistance.
Once again, we will mix in some Black History Month questions.
Were you paying attention?
1) Who was Iowa’s governor when the now replaced Chapter 20 (labor relations laws) were originally passed in Iowa?
2) What entertainer dubbed “the Queen of Soul” announced she will retire this year?
3) Many businesses closed around the country Thursday when they couldn’t get enough workers because what was being observed by some?
4) The half brother of what world leader was killed after being sprayed with poison in Indonesia?
5) After being denied a concert venue at Constitutional Hall in Washington because of her race, what contralto instead had an open air concert at the Lincoln Memorial in 1939?
6) What nominee for Secretary of Labor pulled his name from consideration after several republican senators said they could not support him?
7) At a bizarre press conference Thursday, the current president seemed to accuse a reporter from jewish newspaper of accusing him (Trump) of what?
8) NSA Chief Michael Flynn either quit or was fired over calls he made to the government of what country while still a civilian?
9) Juneteenth is a holiday celebrating the end of slavery in what state several months after the Civil War ended?
10) Iowa republicans held a closed door Skype meeting with what republican governor as the debate over the union busting bill was going on?
11) Which country test fired a medium range ballistic missile last Sunday prompting a strange response from the president at Mar-a-lago?
12) Yale University announced that it would change the name of a residential hall that currently honors what long ago racist politician?
13) Watch those immigrants! Connecticut women’s basketball won its 100th consecutive victory Monday. Where was Connecticut’s coach Geno Auriemma born?
14) The first African slaves were brought to America in what year?
15) What acting Attorney General had informed the current president of Michael Flynn’s ties to Russia nearly 3 weeks ago?
16) Emoluments coincidence? Trump gets his trademark in China just after he backs what policy toward China?
17) Nominee for top science advisor to the president, William Happer, said he believes climate scientists are a what?
18) In South Korea the head of what major conglomerate has been arrested in connection with the corruption and influence peddling scandal the threatens to take down the government?
19) Who was offered the job of NSA chief and turned it down Thursday?
20) The wife of what Supreme Court judge is once again involved in a situation concerning a case that may well end up being argued before the Court?
21) I hear protestors are getting paid. How much? I think I am getting screwed.
The high holy days of basketball will be upon us soon.
1) Republican Robert Ray
2) Aretha Franklin
3) “A day without immigrants” day
4) Kim Jong Un
5) Marian Anderson
6) Andrew Puzder (btw – I no longer will eat at Hardee’s)
10) Scott Walker of Wisconsin
11) North Korea
12) John C. Calhoun
13) Montella, Italy
14) 1619 – brought to Virginia
15) Sally Q. Yates
19) Vice-Admiral Robert Harward
20) Clarence Thomas’s wife Ginny is deep in the fight to ban Muslims from entering the country.
21) I ain’t gettin’ nothin’ I tell ya, nothin’!
What the heck? An administration spokesperson can’t use their position to hawk goods for the bosses daughter? Who knew?
The White House’s chief strategist seems to be trying to push the Pope out of his job? That does not make the president look good? Who knew?
Not sure what a strong dollar means? You shouldn’t ask your National Security Adviser? Who Knew?
A senator can’t read a letter from a prominent American concerning the character of a cabinet nominee on the Senate floor during open debate? Who Knew?
The Secretary of Education should be smarter than a 5th grader? Who knew?
Once more this week we will include some questions on black history. Were you paying attention?
1) 45 took to Twitter to lambaste what company for not carrying his daughter’s merchandise Wednesday?
2) Which administration official then did an impromptu commercial on Fox News for Ivanka the next day?
3) The current administration claims terrorist attacks that never happened. What long ago Republican senator claimed to have a list of communists in the State department that never existed either?
4) Feb. 12, 1809. What two men were born that would have a major impact on human history?
5) What was the Great Migration?
6) How did Iowa’s senators vote on the confirmation of Betsy DeVos for Education Secretary?
7) “She was warned. Nevertheless she persisted.” Thus explained Mitch McConnell as Elizabeth Warren was banned from speaking on what subject in the senate?
8) What Bush era ‘torture-is-good’ memo writer say 45 has gone to far for even him?
9) What is the chapter of the Iowa code Republicans claim to be updating as they destroy Iowa’s public unions?
10) Attacks on the judiciary by administration officials were labeled “disheartening” by what administration nominee?
11) Fannie Lou Hamer led an integrated delegation of Democrats from what state that tried to unseat that state’s regular delegation?
12) February 12, 1999 what dramatic vote took place in the US Senate? (hint: concerned Clinton)
13) The city council of Seattle, Washington withdrew it money from Wells Fargo because of that bank’s funding of what project?
14) Thurgood Marshall was the first African-American on the Supreme Court. Who appointed Marshall to the Court?
15) The leader of which country visited the US Friday?
16) Next week Rep. Ted Lieu of California will introduce a bill to have a full time what at the White House?
17) What Indianapolis company will move operations to Mexico despite public shaming by the administration?
18) Kamala Harris of California is the second black woman in the US Senate. Who was the first?
19) Gun sales have dropped since the fear of who confiscating guns has passed?
20) Sean Spicer said he hoped that if who were still alive, she would support Jeff Sessions for Attorney General?
Tweet from Hillary Clinton Thursday after the Appeals Court handed the administration a loss on banning immigrants from certain countries: “3-0”
2) KellyAnne Conway
3) Joseph McCarthy
4) Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin
5) the migration of southern blacks to northern cities for economic reasons from 1916 to 1970
6) of course both voted to confirm
7) Jefferson B. Sessions confirmation.
8) John Yoo
9) chapter 20
12) The senate voted not to impeach Pres. Clinton
14) Lyndon Johnson
16) a psychiatrist
17) Rexnord Corp. Indy will lose 300 jobs.
18) Carol Mosley Braun of Illinois
20) Coretta Scott King. Yep her really said that.
It was almost as if Frederick Douglass reached from beyond the grave to make a fool out of our buffoon of a president. When asked about Frederick Douglass, our buffoon of a president responded:
“Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is getting recognized more and more, I notice.”
Everyone immediately caught on that the president had no idea just who Douglass was. Somehow I just have to believe that Frederick Douglass put the words in the president’s mouth. Somewhere I just have to think Frederick Douglass once more made a fool of a racist. Thank you, Frederick Douglass for one more lesson.
It is black history month (for the Trump lovers, the other 11 months, and really February also, are white history months) so we will throw in a couple of questions in that area.
Were you paying attention?
1) A Navy Seal unit in convoy near Lexington, Kentucky Sunday was spotted flying what flag from at least one of their vehicles?
2) Who remembers the Bowling Green Massacre? Apparently only what presidential spokesperson?
3) Who was the first African-American to run for president?
4) In a really odd omission, Trump failed to mention what group in his Holocaust remembrance speech?
5) In an act reminiscent of Nixon’s Saturday Night Massacre, who was fired over a stated position that would not defend a presidential policy?
6) The Dred Scott case (Dred Scott vs. Sanford). Who won?
7) On a phone call, president 45 threatened the leader of what country he might invade them?
8) On another rancorous phone call, president 45 simply hung up on what supposed ally?
9) 30 year old shoemake Homer Plessy refusal to move from a Whites only railcar led to what policy expressed by the Supreme Court?
10) What company lost over 200,000 customers when that company took advantage of a New York taxi strike over 45’s Muslim ban?
11) On a party line vote the Iowa Senate passed a bill that would defund what organization?
12) Nordstrom’s announced Thursday that it would no longer carry whose clothing line?
13) 0 sum game: 45 signed an order stating that for every new regulation an agency must eliminate how many regulations?
14) The Alan Turing law was passed in the UK. This will clear 49,000 people of crimes based on the fact that they were what?
15) Jim Crow laws were state laws that did what?
16) What other two countries also celebrate black history month?
17) What man had the most no votes ever by far for any Secretary of State confirmation?
18) SCOTUS nominee Gorsuch’s mother Anne held what cabinet post under Reagan?
19) How many black governors have there been in the US?
20) Loving vs. Virginia ended what discriminatory practice in 1967?
It has only been two weeks??? We must support each other. It will be a long and rough road.
1) a blue flag with “TRUMP” on it.
2) KellyAnne Conway. 45 probably does too
3) Shirley Chisholm (1972 I believe)
5) Sally Yates, the acting Attorney General. She said her department could not defend Trump’s Muslim ban
6) Sanford. Scott was determined to be property of his owner in a 7-2 vote
8) Malcolm Turnbull, PM of Australia
9) “Separate but Equal”
11) Planned Parenthood
12) Ivanka Trump’s. Seems no one is buying it
13) 2 regulations. eventual we have no regulations left.
14) Gay. Laws they were convicted under no longer exist
15) enforced segregation
16) Canada (February) and the UK (October)
17) Tillerson. he had 43. Henry Clay with 14 no votes and Condi Rice with 13 are next
18) She was the head of the EPA and pretty much dismantled it
19) 2 – Doug Wilder in Virginia and Devol Patrick in Mass.
20) bans on interracial marriage
First question for today: Are there any lessons for today in the following 1947 from the US military produced post WWII? (17.5 minutes)
1) A 140,000 gallon diesel pipeline spill occurred on farm ground in what northern Iowa county?
2) “Alternate Facts” will be a phrase that will hang around forever. What administration spokesperson uttered this toxic phrase on network TV?
3) In a really unusual move, what foreign leader made an appearance in front of a Republican party gathering rather than before Congress?
4) What TV star who died last week had a series that was a major step forward in showing women could stand on their own?
5) Our enemies are now friends and our friends are now enemies. The head of what country cancelled a trip to visit the new president last week?
6) Vladimir Putin claimed last week (and our new president would no doubt concur) that Russia had the very best what?
7) What is the latest number of illegal voters that our new president claims voted in November?
8) How many instances of voter fraud have been substantiated?
9) One of the methods of paying for the Republican Wall against Mexico was a tariff of how much on goods coming from Mexico?
10) Another misguided Republican bill in the Iowa legislature would expand the religious reasons for parents to opt out of what?
11) What ballot initiative was given the go ahead to start collecting signatures to put the measure on the ballot in California?
12) For the first time in its 70 year history the Doomsday Clock has been moved how much closer to Midnight?
13) What was the reason scientists in charge of the Doomsday Clock gave for the move they made?
14) The new president ran into heavy Republican opposition as he moved to reinstitute what tactic used under W?
15) What ethics watchdog group filed a lawsuit against the new president for violating the emoluments clause of the constitution?
16) What American city did the president threaten to invade if they didn’t do more to reduce crime?
17) The governor of Minnesota collapsed Monday during his state of the state address due to what?
18) An official complaint against Trump in what foreign country was expanded Wednesday to include not having proper permits added to tax evasion?
19) Butch Trucks died last week. He was a founding member of what iconic rock band?
20) The senior staff of what cabinet level department all quit Thursday?
Sign from the Women’s March: YOU WOULDN’T TRY TO REGULATE MY VAGINA IF IT FIRED BULLETS
2) KellyAnne Conway
3) Theresa May PM of Great Britain
4) Mary Tyler Moore
5) Mexico. He cancelled in reaction to Trump signing an order to build The Republican Wall Against Mexico
6) prostitutes. Surely Donny agrees
7) over 5million (or that was the last I heard and every on voted for Hillary)
8) 4 – all republicans including one in Iowa
9) 20% – remember Iowans, Mexico buys a lot of our corn
10) childhood vaccinations
11) Calexit or an initiative for California to leave the US
12) 30 seconds
13) Donald Trump and heated up nuclear weapon talk and backing off on climate action
14) torture. Thune noted it was against the law
15) CREW (citizens for responsibility and ethics in Washington)
16) Chicago – he actually said he’d send in the National Guard. But if they are nit requested, I’d say it’s an invasion.
17) prostate cancer
18) Mexico – Trump signed the wall order later
19) the Allman Brothers band
20) State Department
A signature line seen on the internet:
Truth Justice and the American way -that’s all we ask. I refuse to subscribe to the culture of victimization that plagues white males in this country. The poor and the powerless are not the ones organized to screw me over.
Normally I try to stay light for the Sunday morning quiz. After watching several tapes of Betsy De Vos avoiding Democratic questions at her confirmation hearing, I decided the lightness of her intellect would so fit in with a Sunday morning. Hard to believe that someone who spent any time in a private education system could come out so devoid of substance. What is not hard to believe is that she would be an extreme radical Republican pick to make a mockery of education in this country. Remember as she sets us back in education, the rest of the world will be plunging ahead leaving us way behind.
Were you Paying attention?
1) Among the pardons that President Obama did NOT grant was one to what former Alabama governor?
2) Walter Shaub, Jr. has what now critical government as we enter the Trump era?
3) What Trump appointee thought his department was a goodwill ambassador for the gas and oil industry?
4) As of Friday how many of the 690 jobs that Trump needed to fill had nominees?
5) Commerce Secretary nominee Wilbur Ross has off-shored how many US jobs as a vulture capitalist since 2004?
6) After tweets mentioning the small size of the crowd at Friday’s inauguration, what cabinet department had it’s twitter account closed by the new administration?
7) The big top folds. What American entertainment institution announced it would be closing down this year?
8) What Trump nominee appears to have broken the STOCK act involving the purchase of stock based on insider congressional knowledge?
9) A stunning report released on the eve of the Davos economic meeting revealed that what number of the wealthiest have the same total wealth as the poorest half of the world’s population?
10) The wife of the man who committed what largest mass murder was arrested as an accessory last week?
11) Former state senator Kent Sorenson received how much time in prison for his part in the pay-for-endorsement with the Ron Paul campaign in 2012?
12) In Connecticut, Republican politician Christopher von Keyserling was arrested for doing what act approved by Donald Trump?
13) What Connecticut University’s Women’s basketball coach saw his team notch its record breaking 91st consecutive victory?
14) Eartbquakes near what major European capital led to evacuations of subways and schools Wednesday?
15) What man wanted by the US reneged on his promise to accept extradition to the US if Chelsea Manning was pardoned?
16) Fiona Apple released what brand new song in time for the Trump festivities concerning Trump’s attitude toward women?
17) The big winners if repeal of the ACA goes through will be which group of Americans?
18) What former first couple both landed in the hospital in Houston last week?
19) A former Apprentice contestant is suing what former reality star for defamation of character after she says he lied about touching her inappropriately?
20) In Iowa, state senator Mark Chelgrin introduced a bill that would allow women to sue doctors who performed their abortions for what at any point in their lifetime?
Imagine what Keystone Kops director Mack Sennet could do with the Trump cabinet?
1) Don Siegelman who was railroaded with trumped up charges
2) heads Office of Government Ethics
3) Rick Perry – but he looks smart in his new glasses
4) 28. Trump will be taking the weekend off
6) Dep’t of the Interior – National Park Service employees mentioned the crowd size compared to 2009
7) Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus
8) Tom Price
9) 8 individuals
10) The mass murder at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Fl.
11) a mere 15 months
12) grabbing a woman by the genitals. She is a lawyer. He said he was just being playful.
13) Geno Auriema
15) Julian Assange
16) “Tiny Hands”
17) the rich will be getting big tax cuts as many lose their coverage
18) George HW and Barbara Bush
19) Donald Trump
20) emotional distress
The resistance begins. It is as close as your telephone and computer.
For those of us who have endured many trips around the sun, we find an interesting ironic situation that the party that built itself as the party that would stand up to the Russians now is the party whose leader is more than happy to crawl in bed with Russia. There is that old saying ‘whatever goes around, comes around.’ I have never really understood what that meant, but I think it describes this situation.
What is really odd is that had Bernie Sanders been the Democratic nominee the main thrust of the Republican attack machine would have been his socialism (it’s like communism they would say) and he visited Russia once!
BTW – I don’t find it strange that a filthy rich man who likes to surround himself with gold wouldn’t like a golden shower every now and then. Maybe I am missing something?
Were you paying attention?
1) The new president once more seems to be flaunting nepotism laws by naming who as a senior advisor?
2) Which extreme right wing fake news darling was caught trying to pay liberals to disrupt the inauguration so the left could be blamed for the disruption?
3) What actress used her acceptance speech time at the Golden Globes to denounce Trump’s mockery of a disabled man?
4) Trump appointee Monica Crowley has had her book “What The Bleep Just Happened” pulled by the publisher for what reason?
5) Trump cabinet nominees haves begun their Senate consent hearings. What nominee stated that water boarding is “absolutely” prohibited by law?
6) In a really strange move, the incoming administration dismissed the two people in charge of what strategic and sensitive stockpile without replacements as of noon Jan. 20?
7) What US auto company refuted claims by Donald Trump that he was instrumental in billion dollar expansion?
8) President Obama surprised what honoree with the Presidential Medal of Freedom Thursday?
9) Scientists at MIT revealed a 3D structural material that is 10X stronger than steel with 5% of the density. What is the major component of this structural material?
10) The Netherlands announce Monday that all of their trains were now being powered by what renewable energy?
11) The division I college championship game was played Monday night. Who won?
12) President Obama delivered his farewell speech to a crowd of 18,000 at what Chicago venue?
13) The last rejection of a cabinet nominee was John Tower as Secretary of Defense for what president?
14) In a bizarre news conference Donald Trump refused to take a question from a reporter from what company?
15) The midwest is expecting what major weather event today?
16) What cabinet nominee received a waiver so he could be confirmed for his cabinet post?
17) In a first, what sitting senator gave testimony in a cabinet confirmation hearing against another sitting senator?
18) What is the top priority of Republicans in the Iowa legislature this session?
19) What cable public affairs station had its feed taken over by Russian TV Thursday?
20) In another incident, legislators in what state were greeted with a screen in Russian when they attempted to change their passwords?
Repeat after me: Russia can not hack our elections!
1) son-in-law Jared Kirschner who may have severe ethics problems of his own.
2) James O’Keefe
3) Meryl Streep
4) over 50 incidents of plagiarism in the book. Considering Melania’s convention speech, Crowley should fit right in.
5) Jefferson Beauregard Sessions for AG
6) the nuclear arsenal – this is scary, folks
7) Fiat Chrysler
8) VP Joe Biden
10) wind generated electricity. Must be nice
12) McCormick Place
13) George HW Bush in 1989
14) CNN claiming CNN was fake news
15) an ice storm!
16) Mad Dog Mattis for Defense. He has not legally been out of the military long enough
17) Corey Booker of New Jersey testified against Sen. Sessions of Alabama for AG
18) cutting taxes of course – they want us to be like Kansas
Repeat after me: Russia can not hack our elections
Speaking of fake news, that is the brand that Fox News has been practicing for 20 years or so, isn’t it? Not sure why people are so surprised by the spread of fake news during a campaign. This has been standard operating procedure for Republicans as long as I can remember. Back in the 1950s Adlai Stevenson once said “If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them.” –
As long as we have had NEWS we have had those who take great liberty with it. I think the real issue now has more to do with just how successful fake news is. From the days of yellow journalism through Father Coughlin and Walter Winchell it has always paid to be alert when someone tells you what is going on.
What is concerning though is that there are so few major purveyors of the news (NPR, Fox, CBS, NBC/Comcast, ABC/Disney, CNN/Time-Warner) and they all seem to toe the same line in reporting following Fox’s lead. Now we see former and current Fox talking heads showing up at rival networks as news commentators. Even NPR has Tucker Carlson as a commentator.
Were you paying attention?
1) When the jobs report came out Friday, it marked how many consecutive months of job growth for the Obama administration?
2) During that period, how many jobs were added to the economy?
3) In addition to trying to end Obamacare, Republicans will also try to strip any federal payments to what organization?
4) The president-select lumped all who didn’t vote for him in what group in a New Year’s tweet?
5) January 6th 1941, FDR gave his State of the Union address which became known as what due to the theme that FDR used? (hint: four _______)
6) Backfire! House Republicans tried to gut what committee late on a holiday night only to wake up to outrage from the public on Tuesday?
7) Once again, contractor’s were stiffed for millions by what hotel mogul for work on a Washington, DC project?
8) Build the wall! Build the wall! But now it comes out who will be paying for it?
9) The editor of what major US newspaper went on record refusing to call anything the next president would say a what?
10) Is this Iowa’s future? In Kansas, Gov. Brownback has suggested using money from what to cover budget shortfalls caused by disastrous financial policies?
11) The band from what historically black college made news last week when they agreed to do what?
12) 23% of Americans say they have ‘no religion’. How many members of congress claim ‘no religion’?
13) With the death of Sister Frances Carr Monday there are only 2 living members of what religious society left?
14) What cabinet nominee is facing an investigation for using his congressional office to affect the price of stocks he owns?
15) What world wide fast food restaurant opened a store near the Vatican in a move that has Cardinals upset by their presence?
16) What chain department store announced multiple closings and loss of jobs that may be related to tweets sent by Trump just after the election?
17) What Trump supporting newspaper reported that Trump may owe as much as $1 billion to over 150 financial companies?
18) Good news from Massachusetts. Who announced another run for senate Friday?
19) Started in 1886, what mail order company that grew into one of America’s retail giants sold off a major brand and announced the closing of another 150 stores?
20) What king was born on January 8, 1935 in Tupelo, Miss.?
only 12 days left
1) 75 longest streak ever
2) very close to 15 million
3) Planned Parenthood
5) The Four Freedoms
6) the Office of Congressional Ethics created after the Abramoff scandal
7) Donald Trump
8) the US taxpayers – Surprise!
10) the state’s long term investments
11) Talladega (Alabama) College
12) one – Kirsten Sinema of Arizona
14) Tom Price – accused of pushing bills that would enrich companies he had stock in
16) Macy’s – Trump sent a series of tweets on Nov. 12 to boycott Macy’s
17) Wall Street Journal
18) Elizabeth Warren!
19) Sears – very near death it looks like
20) Elvis Presley
call, call, call your congress critters and let them know.
Happy New Year! Or maybe not. For many of us, we are now facing directly down the barrel of a long standing promise from the Republican Party to end Medicare, Medicaid and the ACA (aka Obamacare). As far as they are concerned all those who have these plans can just get private insurance. If they don’t then let them die. If you can’t pay, then suffer the consequences! That will teach us a lesson! Sick, Sick, Sick!
Now that Republicans control congress and the presidency for the first time since 1929 they intend to strip any progress made in the past century. Get ready, this will be a bumpy ride . Unless you want to lose everything, you better be ready to fight.
Were you paying attention the last 2 weeks?
1) Just prior to Christmas what two people close to Donald Trump were accused of selling influence through a scheme called “Opening Day”?
2) Reimbursement to what medical provider has been cut off by the state of Texas?
3) Despite huge fanfare, North Carolina Republicans failed to repeal what controversial legislation that cost them hugely in the election?
4) Many celebrity deaths over the holidays. The most noted was what mother-daughter pair who died within a day of each other after Christmas?
5) In response to Russian hacking during our election, President Obama had how many Russian operatives removed from the US?
6) The crash of an Apache helicopter resulted in the death of 2 soldiers near what major American city Thursday?
7) Official vote counts showed Hillary Clinton winning the popular vote by close to how many votes?
8) Friday a member of what group scheduled to entertain at the inauguration publicly withdrew because she “couldn’t endorse tyranny and fascism”?
9) The A&E network pulled a much ballyhooed documentary on what group?
10) In Dallas County on I80 the Iowa Highway Patrol recorded a driver at what speed Thursday night?
11) Wreaths were laid at Pearl Harbor by what two world leaders Wednesday?
12) Smoking in Iowa: According to the Iowa Tobacco Prevention Alliance how many Iowans died from smoking related diseases this year?
13) Following a vote on settlements in Israel, what politician claimed the UN had become “just a club for people to get together, talk and have a good time. So sad!”?
14) Once again Trump takes credit for jobs he had nothing to do with. This time he took credit for jobs announced long ago by what two tech companies?
15) Beginning today in Iowa lifetime handicapped parking placards will last not a lifetime, but how long?
16) Not a celebrity, but Vera Rubin, who died on Christmas at 88, was an astrophysicist whose work confirmed the existence of what little understood building block of the universe?
17) Iowa turned how old last Wednesday?
18) What other government medical system has the Trump administration expressed interest in making more privatized?
19) Through referenda, indexing or other methods, workers in 19 states will see raises in what today?
20) Who will be writing the inaugural address?
Today is the single most celebrated holiday in the world.
1) His sons Eric and Donnie junior
2) Planned Parenthood.
3) the infamous bathroom bill
4) Carrie Fisher followed the next day by her mother Debbie Reynolds
5) 35 along with other sanctions
7) 3 million
8) the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. The person said she couldn’t “throw roses to Hitler”
10) 112 MPH
11) President Obama and Japanese PM Abe
12) 5100 or one in every 6 deaths in Iowa. 421,000 iowans smoke
14) Sprint and OneWeb
15) 5 years and then they must be renewed
16) dark matter
17) 170. Branstad has been governor for less than half of that.
18) The VA system
19) minimum wages
20) Trump says he will. It will be short he says. Many say about 144 characters.
Well, get ready for the tsunami. Be ready to fight.
For one day we shall kick back and test your knowledge of things relating to Christmas, the solstice, Saturnalia or other festivities that happen this time of year.
Here are today’s guest hosts:
Ready? Here we go!
1) What actor from Iowa starred in “It’s A Wonderful Life?”
2) In 1947 Valentine Davies wrote what story about a disillusioned woman, her skeptical daughter and a mysterious man who believes he is the real Santa Claus that became what Christmas movie favorite?
3) One of the most famous versions of “Little Drummer Boy” has Bing Crosby singing the song and what recently deceased rocker singing a counterpoint named “Peace On Earth”?
4) “The Good King Wenceslas” was based on what real life person?
5) What old time political cartoonist in the US (hint Civil War era) may be most responsible for our image of Santa Claus?
6) Many Christmas traditions go back to the pagan festival of the winter solstice in Northern Europe known as what?
7) “What Child Is This” is sung to the tune of what English folk tune?
8) In “It’s A Wonderful Life” what is the name of the angel sent to help George Bailey?
9) A series of unplanned, unofficial ceasefires known as “the Christmas Truce” occurred during what major conflict?
10) The good old days! As the name ‘Gilbert’s U238 Atomic Energy Kit’ implied, kids in the 1950s got a chemistry set that included what?
11) I woke up early on Black Friday in 1998 to drive to a store to get a limited item present. When I got there five people were fighting over what toy of the year? Hint – it looked like a cuddly animal.
12) The Christmas staple, Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol” was published just before Christmas of what year?
13) Much of the legend of Santa Claus today seems to be based on what Norse god?
14) Clark Griswold is the main character. What is the Christmas related movie?
15) You’re in Canada and you are surprised to find out that the day after Christmas is a huge holiday. What is the name for that day?
16) What president reportedly tried to ban Christmas trees from the White House due to environmental concerns (deforestation)?
17) December 25th and the longest day of the year has just past and it is very warm. What kind of mammal might you see go hopping by?
18) A time for feasting, goodwill, generosity to the poor, the exchange of gifts and the decoration of trees. This describes what festival that was celebrated around the winter solstice in Roman times?
19) In Dickens’ “Christmas Carol” the Ghost of Christmas Present opens his robe to reveal a ravished looking boy and girl. The ghost introduces them to Scrooge with what names?
20) The deliverer of presents in many Germanic areas of Europe is a sprite like child known as what?
1) Donna Reed from Dension, Iowa
2) Miracle On 34th Street
3) David Bowie
4) Vaclav the good aka Wenceslas Duke of Bohemia 907 – 935AD
5) Thomas Nast
6) Yule (or Jul)
8) Clarence Oddbody
9) World War I
10) a little bit of uranium
14) Christmas Vacation
15) Boxing day – it is celebrated throughout the British Empire
16) Teddy Roosevelt
17) You are in the southern hemisphere, possibly Australia. So a kangaroo just hopped by
19) This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want
20) Christkindl (christ child)
From FDR’s second inaugural address:
We had to struggle with the old enemies of peace – business and financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionalism, war profiteering.
They had begun to consider the Government of the United States as a mere appendage to their own affairs. We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.
Never before in all our history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hate for me – and I welcome their hatred.
Well they were just as organized against Hillary Clinton. Now we have Government by both organized money and organized mob at one and the same time. Buckle up.
Were you paying attention?
1) He couldn’t remember its name during a debate and now he will be secretary of it. What department has Rick Perry been nominated to lead?
2) What guy is so smart that he doesn’t need daily intelligence briefings?
3) What group called a halt to Michigan’s recount?
4) Dylan Roof was quickly found guilty by a jury for what crime he committed in June, 2015?
5) Which social media giant announced a new plan to crack down on fake news?
6) There’s going to be a YUGE March on Washington on January 21st. What group will be marching?
7) According to new senate majority leader Bill Dix, Iowans will need what to vote next year?
8) The Supreme Court rejected an appeal to turn back a Colorado law to collect what on internet sales?
9) FCC Chair Tom Wheeler announced he will resign on January 20, 2017. How will this leave the party split on the FCC?
10) What once major internet company disclosed yet another huge hack Wednesday?
11) Steve King said that the new administration is still going to build what?
12) Donald Trump stated that in order to catch computer hackers, they must be caught how?
13) John Kasich, the so-called ‘sane’ Republican presidential candidate signed what piece of legislation aimed at women this week?
14) Astronaut and pilot John Glenn died last week. As a fighter pilot in WWII and the Korean War, Glenn often had what baseball star as his co-pilot?
15) High level constitutional drama on Dec. 19,1998 as the House of Representatives did what to Pres. Clinton?
16) Actor Alan Thicke died last week of a heart attack. What was he doing when the fatal heart attack happened?
17) Donald Trump has been told by the Government Services Administration that he must totally divest himself of a hotel in what city?
18) Air pollution is so high in what international city that the city has issued its first ever Red Alert?
19) December 20, 1956 marked the end of a year long bus boycott in what southern city?
20) Breaking News! Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Arizona claims he has indisputable evidence that what is a forgery?
Remember the reason for the season. The sun stops disappearing and slowly days increase in length starting Wednesday.
1) Energy. Bet Perry has no idea what the Energy Dept. is supposed to do.
2) Donald Trump. We had a guy just like him in 2001
3) The overwhelmingly Republican Michigan Supreme Court
4) Murdering 9 parishioners at the Emmanuel AME in Charleston, SC
7) an ID
8) sales tax
9) 2-1 majority for the Republicans.
11) A wall along the Mexican border
12) in the act!
13) the heartbeat anti-abortion bill
14) Ted Williams
15) impeached him; the senate did not convict
16) playing hockey with his son.
17) Washington DC – the building is owned by the government and no elected official can be part of the leasing groups
19) Montgomery, Alabama
20) Barack Obama’s birth certificate. (uh, Joe, that boat sailed long ago)