The quiz master is is not in much of a festive mood. It took nearly 48 hours to start functioning again. One thing is for sure: I apologize for any extra publicity I may have given a certain party and will attempt as best is possible to avoid use of the name in the future. For one thing my stomach gets tied in a knot at even hearing the name.
Stay strong folks and hopefully we come out alive and ready to do battle in two years and four years also.
1) The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month what was signed?
2) Despite a now cloudy future, what insurance program had its best enrollment day ever Wednesday?
3) The most violent storms in decades hit what southern hemisphere capital killing six and injuring scores more?
4) Kamala Harris of California became the second black woman ever to be elected to the senate. Who was the first?
5) In Nevada, Catherine Cortez Masto became the first what elected to the senate?
6) What percentage of eligible voters did not vote in Tuesday’s election?
7) Who will most likely replace Harry Reid as minority leader of the senate?
8) How many states legalized the use of recreational marijuana Tuesday?
9) How many states legalized the use of marijuana for medical purposes Tuesday?
10) Nov.11, 1992 the Church of England allowed women to do what?
11) On Nov. 13, 1942 the five Sullivan brothers die in combat when their ship sinks. What is their hometown?
12) What once stable state suffered a 5.0 earthquake near a major oil storage facility?
13) Daniel Ortega was reelected to a third term in what central American country?
14) Voters in what NFL city rejected a referendum to fund a new stadium?
15) The value of what country’s currency dropped to a new low in response to our election?
16) What first female US Attorney General died this week in Florida?
17) Protests against Tuesday’s election broke out in cities across the US including what city in Iowa?
18) Nov. 18, 1993 what ended in South Africa?
19) Among names floated to run the DNC what former chair has been mentioned?
20) The largest online shopping day in the world happened Friday. What was it?
That’s all I got folks.
1) the armistice to end WWI
2) Obamacare or the ACA
3) Johannesburg, South Africa.
4) Carol Mosely Braun of Illinois
7) Chuck Schumer of New York
8) 4 – Cal, Mass, Nev, Maine
9) 4 – Arkansas, Florida, Montana, and North Dakota
10) become priests
11) Waterloo, Iowa
12) Oklahoma (Cushing, Ok)
14) San Diego
16) Janet Reno
17) Des Moines
18) white rule
19) Howard Dean
20) Singles Day. Mostly in China, Alibaba promoted it as an anti-valentines day for singles. Sales will top $20B much larger than black Friday and cyber Monday put together.
The FBI In Action
Victor Laszlo @Impolitics
This will always be remembered as the presidential election in which the KKK, the KGB and the FBI all supported the same candidate.
I am expecting a call from the FBI soon. I contributed to the Hillary Clinton campaign and I am just sure that the FBI will soon be combing through my emails to find all those requests for more money from her campaign. I understand from Russian hackers that if those emails are printed out and arranged in a certain way they reveal that Hillary Clinton has been known to be the lover of the former leader of a certain major western country.
Were you paying attention to hopefully this last week of craziness?
1) Bill Baroni and Bridget Kelly were found guilty in what New Jersey scandal that may also involve Gov. Christie?
2) The accused murderer of two Des Moines police officers had recently been removed from an Urbandale football game for doing what?
3) November 3, 1948. What newspaper carried the premature headline “Dewey Defeats Truman”?
4) Elected Nov. 6, 1860 – what man also made an address at Gettysburg? This man’s address did not begin by denying sexual assaults.
5) Mexican pesos are sliding in trading as the possibility of who being elected president increases?
6) In Lebanon, Ohio Democrats came to their headquarters last Sunday they found what had been dumped on their doorstep?
7) OOPS! The Branstad administration is giving the privatized Medicaid management companies how much more money?
8) After announcing last week that the FBI were investigating more Clinton emails, the FBI admitted this week that they hadn’t done what?
9) Alabama experienced a second explosion of what in a month Monday?
10) The last time the Chicago Cubs were in the World Series what major world event had just ended two months previous?
11) Donald Trump got a ringing front page endorsement from what group’s newspaper?
12) In a surprising poll Florida Republicans voting early selected Hillary Clinton on what percent of their ballots?
13) A historically black church was burned Tuesday night in what state?
14) Mitt Romney claimed he would get unemployment down to 6% after his first term. What was the unemployment rate as of Friday morning?
15) Donald Trump singled out what reporter as an example of why he gets poor press in Miami Tuesday?
16) A news conference by the woman who is suing Donald Trump for rape was cancelled in LA when what group hacked her lawyer’s emails?
17) As if in solidarity a herd of what showed up to the Dakota Access Pipe Line protest last week?
18) Friday, who confirmed that FBI agents had leaked information on Clinton emails to the Trump campaign?
19) Paul Ryan wouldn’t use the name of what presidential candidate when asked who he had voted for?
20) The Rowan County Kentucky clerk who made big news last year by refusing to issue marriage licenses to gay couples is now being requested to pay what?
GET OUT AND VOTE as if your life depended on it
1) Bridgegate – Christie still claims he didn’t know despite testimony to the contrary
2) Bringing and waving a confederate flag at the game.
3) The Chicago Tribune
4) Abraham Lincoln. Some difference in Republican candidates then to now
5) Trump – markets are sliding out of fear Trump may win
6) a truck load of manure. The perfusion was caught on the security cam and has been arrested.
7) $33 million. talk about a scam.
8) read the emails or even obtained a search warrant
9) a gas pipeline.
11) the KKK
14) 4.9% – good thing Mitt didn’t win.
15) Katy Tur of NBC. She was then subject to very hostile taunts by the crowd.
16) Anonymous (guess who’s working for Trump these days)
18) Rudy Giulliani
19) Donald Trump. ryan would only say he voted for his party’s nominee.
20) the lawyer fees and court costs for the couples that had to sue her. The total is @ $233,000. Kim Davis was the name if you forgot.
here is hoping next week’s quiz will be a happy one.
House in Riverside, California
Here it is: Trump gets elected in a few days and we have the return of Bush administration flunkies. They will start more wars, cause more inflation, make cuts to Social Security and Medicare, refuse to enforce regulations on banks and Wall Street that will lead us back into an economy on the precipice. This should keep you up at night!
You know how to stop it. Get Out and Vote!!!
Were you paying attention last week?
1) Hillary Clinton had some help doing the heavy lifting in New Hampshire last week from what New England senator?
2) Target has pulled what common Halloween mask from its store shelves due to recent incidents around the country?
3) A boy named Sue: In his address at Gettysburg, Pa. last week Donald Trump threatened to sue what group of people right after the election?
4) What long term GOP congressman is advertising using pictures of himself with Obama as his re-election chances sink?
5) Governor Branstad said he is willing to talk about minimum wage after election. How do the states that border Iowa compare to Iowa’s minimum wage?
6) In what country did the jack-o-lantern originate?
7) Last Wednesday was what President’s birthday?
8) October 26th, 1881- The “most famous 30 seconds in history” takes place in Tombstone, Arizona. What is the name of that incident?
9) “I forgot that your parents came all the way from Thailand to serve George Washington.” Senator Mark Kirk made this disparaging remark to what opponent of his?
10) Halloween is one sweet day. Annual sales of Halloween candy in the US is about how many dollars?
11) What Trump surrogate told Megan Kelly that she was “fascinated with sex” during an interview on Fox News?
12) Robert Velline, aka Bobby Vee, died last week ion Minnesota. Who suggested that Velline change his name to Bobby Vee back in the late 50s?
13) Corporate News is trumpeting the increase in rates for what program?
14) He helped start the SDS, was a member of the Chicago7 and fought hard to get the US out of Vietnam. What radical icon died last week at 76?
15) What group is threatening to sue the DCCC over ads that link them to Republican Presidential candidate, Donald Trump?
16) A man dressed as a construction worker destroyed whose star on the Hollywood walk of fame with a pneumatic drill?
17) What brewery has seen a precipitous drop in sales after its owner endorsed Donald Trump?
18) October 31st is the last day in what ancient calendar? (hint: what ancient society began celebrating Halloween)
19) Protestors in North Dakota have been arrested on private land. Meanwhile in Oregon, protestors who took over public land were found (guilty / not guilty) by a jury Wednesday?
20) What surprising group of people have not contributed to the Trump campaign?
Something’s wrong kids – the trees used to be bare by now. Some have barely turned color this year so far.
1) Elizabeth Warren
2) Clown masks – there have been many incidents around the country of people dressed in clown outfits attacking people.
3) Women who accused him of groping them
4) Darrel Issa in San Diego. Obama has called Issa out on this
5) All have higher minimum wages than Iowa
7) the next president, Hillary Clinton!
8) ‘The gunfight at the OK corral’
9) Tammy Duckworth. Duckworth has ancestry that fought in the Revolutionary War. Her mother is from Thailand
10) $2 billion
11) Newt Gingrich.
12) Bob Zimmerman who later changed his name to Bob Dylan
13) the ACA. While rates went up, so did subsidies.
14) Tom Hayden
15) Republican congressional candidates
16) Donald Trump
17) Yeungling’s in Pennsylvania. the owner Richard Yeungling told Eric Trump they were behind his dad and word leaked out.
18) the Celtic calendar.
19) not guilty
20) his children. Not a penny. Guess they don’t want to throw their money away?
Interesting that Halloween is a major end of calendar year celebration much like Christmas (derived from the Saturnalia) is
My apologies for being gone the past couple of weeks. Some family business came up.
Well, that and my personal project concerning the Trump effect on tree coloring in the northern US. It seems that trees are sharing a collective fear that they will be criticized bigly by Trump if their coloring does not reach the Trump coloring expectations. We can see these effects in Iowa by noting that the leaves are turning late in response to their fear of Trump criticism. Some may blame climate change. Not true. Trump’s bullying now even affects nature.
Also this week we have some Trump staffers who will be assisting with the puzzle to make sure that their candidate is given a fair shake. They have arrived and are settling in:
Were you paying attention?
1) Prior to the debate Wednesday the Trump hotel in Las Vegas was ringed by what group of vendors a Trump surrogate had once disdained?
2) Trump and Clinton appeared at the Al Smith Dinner together Thursday evening. Al Smith was the first Catholic to run for president. Which party did he represent?
3) Smith was defeated in his bid for the presidency by whom?
4) October 22, 1962. President Kennedy addressed the nation concerning what pending crisis?
5) Which party’s headquarters were damaged in vandalism attacks in Orange County, North Carolina?
6) Last weekend what prominent person suggested that the two presidential candidates be drug tested before their final debate?
7) What prominent Iowa politician agreed with Trump’s contention that there is voter fraud in Iowa, citing college students voting at home and in their college town as an example?
8) Patty Judge and Chuck Grassley met for a little seen debate in what Iowa city Wednesday?
9) Sixty years ago today an uprising took place against Soviet rule in what Soviet bloc country? It was quickly put down, BTW.
10) Delta Airlines made some unwanted news as cabin crews refused help from what type of person during medical emergencies on two separate flights?
11) Running for re-election in Arizona, John McCain said Republicans would stop what nominees from a Clinton administration?
12) Wikileaks founder Julian Assange had his internet connection cut off by whom?
13) The city of Oryol, Russia made news when it unveiled a statue of what highly controversial historical figure?
14) Marine Gen. James Cartwright pled guilty to leaking information on what top secret government hacking program?
15) Roll Over Beethoven! What rock ’n’ roll legend turned 90 last Tuesday?
16) Oelwein police officer Jay Perkins made the news last week by posting a photo on Facebook in which he appears to be doing what?
17) One hundred and fifty five years ago tomorrow (Oct.24, 1861) President Lincoln received the first transcontinental what?
18) Guests at the last debate that Trump invited to upset Clinton included what relation of President Obama?
19) What baseball star made it clear last week that he would run against Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren?
20) Who is a “nasty woman” according to Donald Trump?
Hey, Trump staffers. You guys ready yet?
1) taco trucks
2) the Democratic Party
3) Iowa’s own Herbert Hoover
4) the Cuban missile crisis
5) both the Republican and Democratic HQs were damaged. Pretty much only the Republican attack has been reported.
6) Donald Trump
7) Branstad. Maybe he missed Matt Schultz’s boondoggle taxpayer funded bogus investigation a few years ago?
8) Sioux City
10) Black women doctors. In both cases the cabin crew indicated they did not believe the women were doctors.
11) nominees to the Supreme Court. Since his statement McCain has been avoiding interviews
12) Ecuador in whose embassy he is in asylum
13) Ivan the Terrible. This is the first statue os Ivan. Oryol is @ 200 miles south of Moscow
15) Chuck Berry!
16) peeing on a Clinton/Kaine sign while pointing a gun at the sign. He was not in uniform nor on duty.
17) telegram from the Chief Justice of California.
18) Obama’s half brother who had a falling out with the president.
19) Curt Schilling. *hint: he’s less popular in Mass. than Trump*
20) Hillary Clinton
Uh – Trump staffers – we’re done.
Youngster addresses Charlotte city council (2 minutes)
I saw that video online and was overwhelmed by it. The only thing it has to do with voting is to remind you of some of the unspoken issues in every district in the country. Equality for all despite race, gender or creed. You may have noticed that one side is decidedly short in this area this year.
Here is a take on last weeks debate from Andy Borowitz that seems to be right on the money:
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (The Borowitz Report)—Plunging the future of the 2016 Presidential debates into doubt, Donald J. Trump said on Tuesday morning that he would not participate in the remaining two debates if Hillary Clinton is there.
Trump blasted the format of Monday night’s debate by claiming that the presence of Clinton was “specifically designed” to distract him from delivering his message to the American people.
“Every time I said something, she would say something back,” he said. “It was rigged.”
He also lambasted the “underhanded tactics” his opponent used during the debate. “She kept on bringing up things I said or did,” he added. “She is a very nasty person.”
Were you paying attention?
1) Tweet storm! Donald Trump spent the early morning hours of Friday (3AM) tweeting nasty about who?
2) Last week Kentucky became the 6th state to report what usually lovable characters lurking in dark places to scare people at night?
3) 108 years ago yesterday, what major leap in technology went on sale? This item would dramatically alter America’s landscape and air quality.
4) Seattle Mariners suspended Steve Clevenger for the remainder of the season for doing what?
5) Donald Trump declared himself “smart” for not doing what in Monday’s debate?
6) “Arnie’s Army” lost its leader last week. Who was that?
7) Social media giant Twitter is rumored to be for sale. What media giant is said to be very interested in acquiring Twitter?
8) Once again testimony in the New Jersey Bridgegate scandal claimed that what major politician knew of the closures when it happened and did nothing?
9) When is a charity not a charity? When it hasn’t received proper what from the state?
10) We learned Monday that what 10 year old loves to cyber?
11) After telling probate court justices in Alabama to defy federal gay marriage rules, what Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice has been suspended for the rest of the term?
12) Polk County became the 4th county in Iowa to raise what?
13) Making an appearance on Hardball with Chris Matthews what Libertarian presidential candidate had another “Aleppo” moment?
14) The Americas were declared to be the first global region free of what endemic disease?
15) What cartoon character has been designated a hate symbol by the Anti-Defamation League alongside the Nazi swastika and the Confederate flag?
16) Revelations by news week’s Kurt Eichenwald show that candidate Donald Trump illegally did business with what country?
17) Fifty-nine years ago next Tuesday Americans were jolted by the news that the USSR had done what while they slept?
18) Congress adjourned for the elections after a budget extension that included money for repairing the water system in what beleaguered city?
19) CEO John Stumpf of what “too big to fail” bank has been forced to forgo stock options and bonuses worth $41 million due to claw back provisions imposed by his board of directors?
20) After overriding the President’s veto on the 9/11 Saudi Arabian lawsuit bill, Republican leaders had second thoughts and claimed the President had “not done enough” to do what?
Tuesday Trump claimed he was declared winner of a post debate poll by CBS. No such poll was ever conducted
1) Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado. Among other things, Trump claimed she made porn videos she never made.
3) Ford’s Model T
4) racist tweets
5) paying taxes.
6) Golfer Arnold Palmer
8) Chris Christie
9) Certification. Specifically the Trump Foundation was never certified to receive contributions. Very illegal (David Farenthold of the Washington Post reporting)
10) Baron Trump
11) Roy Moore
12) minimum wage
13) Gary Johnson
15) Pepe the frog
17) launched the Sputnik satellite
19) Wells Fargo – a big thanks to Elizabeth Warren for that BTW.
20) stop them from overriding their veto. After the override Republicans are having second thoughts about the consequences.
In case you missed this. Hillary Clinton “Between Two Ferns” (6 minutes)
Love Olbermann’s comments. This one is about 6 minutes
Are you watching? Are you not watching? Will you be blogging it? Or will you hide out on Netflix?
The day is here tomorrow – 2016 presidential Debate #1. While the debate itself is extremely important, what is maybe just as important is the post debate spin. Republicans will be putting a lot of effort into making sure that on corporate run network after corporate run network their boy Donald will be declared winner of the debate despite his ties to Russia, his illegal use of his charity’s money and his fraudulent university. The corporate run networks will tell us that America wants a tough talker even when he has no idea what he is saying.
They will also point out that Donald is the only man in the race, in case you missed that.
I can only hope Lester Holt refrains from asking Trump for his autograph.
Were you paying attention?
1) Going into the post season fans of what long suffering baseball team are hopeful of their first championship in over 100 years?
2) A Canadian man was accused Tuesday of smuggling C$180,000 out of the Royal National Mint where he worked by doing what?
3) A second bomb in New York last Saturday night was accidentally defused when what happened?
4) In Minnesota, a man dressed in a mall security outfit attacked mall shoppers with a what?
5) The NYC bomber was captured when a New Jersey bar owner found him doing what?
6) Republican VP candidate Mike Pence said his role model as vice president is who?
7) An Iowa graduate student was shot by her brother as she was driving and her brother was doing what?
8) Gas prices are rising quickly in the southeastern US following what?
9) Almost totally unreported by the corporate press, what group of Americans have been staging off again, on again strikes for the past couple of weeks?
10) Standing Rock Sioux Chairman Dave Archambault appealed to what organization to help in stopping construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline?
11) Twenty one states including Iowa sued the Obama Administration Tuesday to stop the implementation of what on Dec. 1st?
12) At the trial concerning the bridge lane closures in New Jersey in Sept. of 2013 what high level unindicted official was claimed by defendants to have known of the closures as they happened?
13) What elder of the Republican Party created headlines when he said he will be voting for Hillary Clinton?
14) What celebrity couple announced their split?
15) Mahoning County, Ohio campaign chair Kathy Miller resigned after she was recorded claiming (among other things) that racism began with what prominent American?
16) Black men died from police bullets in controversial shootings in what two major American cities last week?
17) What formerly major tech player announced its data had been breached several months ago affecting hundreds of millions of users?
18) Despite having been declared unconstitutional, Trump called for the reinstitution and nationalization of what police policy?
19) Two Ron Paul campaign aides were sentenced for their part in the bribery scheme in the 2012 presidential campaign. What former Iowa state senator has not as yet been sentenced for receiving those bribes?
20) Donald Trump was outed for illegal self-dealing. This means that he used money from where to pay his own bills?
I am a late September baby. I know what my parents were doing over the holidays the year before I was born.
1) The Chicago Cubs. Now owned by the very Republican Ricketts family
2) carrying pucks (unstamped gold) out of the mint in his ass
3) Two thieves removed the pressure cooker inside so they could steal the luggage it was in.
5) sleeping in the doorway of the bar
6) Dick Cheney
7) cleaning his supposedly unloaded gun in the moving car
8) a gas pipeline rupture in Alabama
10) UN Human Rights Council in Geneva
11) the new overtime rules for management personnel (will be paid overtime if pay is below ~ $48,000)
12) Governor Chris Christie
13) former President George H. W. Bush
14) Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie
15) Barack Obama. Before that she said, everything was fine
16) Tulsa, Oklahoma and Charlotte, NC
17) Yahoo. This may well squelch their sale to Verizon.
18) Stop and Frisk.
19) Kent Sorenson
20) his charity – the Trump Foundation. He paid a couple of fines and bought himself a couple of nice gifts
“Elect the First, Not the Worst” That is: Elect the first woman ever, not the worst man ever.
Glad to see that someone asked Don the Con about his final analysis of whether or not President Obama was born in the US. Trump needs to be held accountable for his wild statements and lies. Let us hope this is finally the beginning.
While contemplating this it occurred to me that if there was a group that was planning some 50+ years ago to take a child born in a foreign country, raised and groomed to take over the US and destroy it from within, that they would have been foolish to put all their effort into only one child – that being Barack Obama. No, this effort would require multiple efforts to get the very one that could attain the presidency. Let’s face it, getting elected president isn’t something that just anyone can do. If Obama had failed, their brilliant plan would have been smashed.
Therefore there must be many more children like Obama, chosen and groomed to take over the US like Obama was. Hundreds? Thousands? Mr. Trump, I hope you had your investigators dig into this. We may have swarms of Obama like citizens in this country right now. Intelligent, level headed, charming, even-tempered. They should stick out like sore thumbs in America today.
And look at what Obama has done to this country – jobs, health care, trending to peace. He has ruined it for people of your persuasion, Mr. Trump. Hope you can ferret out those behind this horror and stop them from doing it again. (I hope you know this is satire, folks)
Were you paying attention?
1) “And now pinch hitting for Hillary Clinton…” Who stood in for Clinton to make a speech in Philadelphia last week?
2) The Trump camp rolled out a child care policy. Their version of maternity time off would be paid for by cuts in what other program?
3) Greta Friedman died last week. Few knew her name, but most every American knew her from what picture taken on August 14, 1945?
4) In California, Gov. Brown signed historic legislation extending overtime pay to what group of workers?
5) At the U of Oregon officials renamed a dormitory because the professor it was named for was also a leader of what hate group in his off hours?
6) After allowing the Brexit vote in the UK, what politician ended his political career by resigning his seat in Parliament last week?
7) Donald Trump, jr. had a bad week last week. Sunday he tweeted a picture of his Dad and other Republicans with what white nationalist symbol among them?
8) Trump, jr. also invoked memories of Nazi Germany when he attacked the media claiming if Republicans did what Democrats did the press would be doing what?
9) What popular liberal commentator has come back to do a series of twice-weekly commentaries for GQ magazine?
10) A new probe by the Attorney General in New York is targeting what Trump entity for improprieties?
11) In Iowa, Branstad says everything is working well, whereas hospitals and providers are having huge problems with what new program?
12) What additional Iowa county voted to raise the minimum wage in their county last week?
13) What starts at 00:37 next Friday?
14) September 24, 1957. Troops were sent by President Eisenhower to enforce school integration in what city?
15) Congress overwhelmingly passed a bill allowing families of victims of 9/11 to sue what country?
16) Mike Pence said what man was bad but not “deplorable”?
17) Due to the anti-gay HB2 law in North Carolina, what organization announced it would move several major events out of that state?
18) At the Values Voter Summit, Kentucky Governor Matt Begins called for what if Hillary Clinton is elected?
19) In New Hampshire, the Manchester Union Leader newspaper broke a century long streak of endorsing Republicans when they endorsed who?
20) Once more getting free TV during the campaign Donald Trump was a guest of what TV doctor?
Hillary Clinton may have had walking pneumonia but she did not have the boogie woogie blues!
1) President Obama – not a bad choice off the bench
2) reducing unemployment insurance programs
3) it was dubbed “the Kiss” where a sailor grabbed Ms. Friedman in Times Square to celebrate the announcement of Japan’s defeat.
4) Farm workers
5) the KKK – although probably not deplorable according to Trump
6) David Cameron – he had resign as PM earlier, now he is out of Parliament.
7) Pepe the Frog
8) “warming up the gas chamber” – a really deplorable reference
9) Keith Olbermann
10) The Trump Foundation
11) corporate managed medicaid put in place by Branstad only
12) Wapello County (Ottumwa)
14) Little Rock
15) Saudi Arabia
16) David Duke
17) NCAA moved many tournament events from North Carolina
19) Gary Johnson, Libertarian
20) Doctor Oz
See you next week!
Whoopsie, Donald Trump let the cat out of the bag the other day and let us know what the real underlying issue is in the campaign – Hillary Clinton doesn’t look like a president. By golly why couldn’t all the media and all the citizens discern that? Steven Colbert explains Hillary’s big problem in this 8 minute video ( Colbert’s diagnosis starts @ 5 minutes in):
May I offer some suggestions to Hillary? 150 years ago another presidential candidate got some great advice on shoring up his looks when a young admirer suggested to Abe Lincoln that he grow a beard. Worked for Abe, could it work for Hillary? If not a full beard maybe a goatee to give her an intellectual air? Or perhaps just a mustache to give her a more mature look?
Besides not having a penis, another item Colbert forgot was that her breasts are far larger than previous candidates maybe with the exception of William Howard Taft.
Not sure if these suggestions will help, but I offer them in hopes of helping. But there were other candidates who did win who did not have the full presidential look. I offer the aforementioned Abe Lincoln as one example and the rather diminutive James Madison as another. Perhaps Clinton will do just fine with her natural looks. At least her hair doesn’t look nearly as fake as Trummp’s.
Were you paying attention?
1) The big campaign event last week was NBC’s presidential forum. Even NBC News executives agreed that the big loser that night was what moderator?
2) Mexican senator, Armando Piter, proposed a law that would do what if Donald Trump is elected president?
3) 50 years ago last Thursday (Sept. 8th) what TV show premiered that despite low ratings has had a long lasting effect in the US?
4) A few days later (Sept. 11, 1966) another TV show premiered that followed the antics of members of what soon to be major rock band?
5) Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson made a critical area when he responded to a question by asking “What is “ what city?
6) As the press and Republicans fail to pin a scandal on Clinton, it looks like Republicans will have to contend with a bribery scandal involving what 2 Republicans?
7) During the presidential forum Wednesday, Trump expressed admiration for what foreign leader?
8) Republicans in the senate once again tied emergency funding to combat the outbreak of what disease to other poison pill legislation, thus assuring its defeat?
9) The city of Atlantic, Iowa has been receiving complaints about a presidential campaign sign with an offensive message that says what?
10) Tomorrow (by my count) marks how many days of obstruction by Chuck Grassley on the Garland nomination?
11) A decision by Britain’s National Health Service to deny non-life threatening surgery to what two groups of people has been put on hold as discriminatory?
12) “I don’t bother talking about it” Trump told Bill O’Reilly. What doesn’t Trump talk about any more?
13) President Obama cancelled a meeting with Philippine President Duterte after Duterte called Obama a what?
14) What long time Fox host announced she would be leaving Fox when her contract was up?Then on Tuesday she was out the door immediately.
15) Congress is back for a short session and Republicans are talking about impeaching who?
16) Republicans in the House have also threatened to punish what group of fellow legislators?
17) What NFL player’s jersey is now the best seller?
18) Outrage to come! President Obama nominated a person of what religion as a federal judge?
19) What banking giant was caught by federal regulators with having employees open secret bank accounts and apply for credit cards without customer knowledge?
20) Democrats in what state have sued to have Donald Trump removed from the ballot since his campaign has failed to follow laws to get on the ballot?
From what I hear the book “The Making of Donald Trump” by David Cay Johnston really reveals the real (and very much a narcissist) Trump. I will be picking one up this week. Read about it here http://billmoyers.com/story/making-donald-trump-told-journalistic-nemesis/
1) Matt Lauer
2) cancel the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo of 1848. This ceded areas that are now California, Texas plus parts of nearly every other western state except the very northern tier.
3) Star Trek
4) The Monkees
6) Donald Trump and Florida AG Pam Bondi
7) Vladimir Putin. Putin used to be an enemy
8) the zika virus
9) “Trump That Bitch”
10) 180 days or 6 months. That’s our Chuck – he’s a record breaker!
11) ‘fat’ people (BMI over 30) and smokers
12) his birther claims about Obama. Remember when he claimed his investigators had uncovered the truth in Hawaii?
13) son of a bitch or son of a whore. Apparently this is standard for Duterte
14) Greta Van Sustern – that was quick
15) the head of the IRS. Apparently there are no problems to deal with
16) Those who participated in the gun law sit-in last June (Dave Loebsack, stand up proudly!)
17) Colin Kaepernick – here we see a fine demonstration of how to burn a Kaepernick jersey: (2.5 minutes)
18) Muslim really!
19) Wells Fargo. As of now only low level employees have been cited as being violators
Labor day is the traditional kickoff for the campaign season since the official election day is now about 9 weeks out. However with early voting in many states that window has shrunk to 4 weeks or so. So the candidates will be on high energy from here on out, as if they have not been already.
Which brings us to the goofiest event of last week. As usual it involves Trump and another assault on the American people. I only bring it up because there has never been a more appropriate place for Molly Ivins most famous line. At the time she said it she was talking about a Pat Buchanan speech. However I think had she seen the Trump display Tuesday she no doubt would have reiterated her comment that “it probably sounded better in the original German.”
August is supposed to be a quiet month. Wha’ happen? Were you paying attention?
1) What message did Mexican President Nieto deliver to Trump concerning Trump’s wall?
2) U of Iowa grad Gene Wilder died last week. What other comedian did he team with in a series of very funny films?
3) What Western state Republican senator is warning his fellow western state senators to distance themselves from Donald Trump?
4) What New England governor responded to a series of really bad stories about him and his race relations by saying he would no longer speak to the press?
5) Voting in Iowa starts later this month. What date does voting begin in Iowa this year?
6) Democrats in Iowa gathered in Des Moines last Sunday in a new annual event hosted by Progress Iowa called the what?
7) Tomorrow is Labor Day. Most other countries celebrate a day for their workers on a different day than us. What other country celebrates labor Day on the first Monday of September?
8) What other day celebrates workers elsewhere in the world?
9) “Maybe he should find a country that works better for him.” This was Donald Trump’s reaction to a protest being staged by what athlete?
10) Sept. 2, 1962 Russia agrees to send arms to Cuba. The US discovers these shipments leading to what nail biting international showdown?
11) Labor Day began as a protest / campaign with what goal for workers?
12) The actual first Labor Day was celebrated Sept. 5, 1882 in what major US city?
13) What company was handed a $13B tax bill by the EU last week?
14) Jet Blue airlines flew someplace that no American airline has flown for over 50 years last week. Where did Jet Blue fly to?
15) U Wisconsin-Madison was named by the Princeton Review as the nation’s #1 party school yet again. What school came in last for the 19th consecutive year?
16) What state was the first to adopt Labor Day as a state holiday?
17) Dilma Rousseff was impeached and removed as president of what country?
18) Before Donald Trump’s visit to a black church in Detroit yesterday, it was revealed that the questions and answers for his interview were entirely what?
19) Iowa state senate Democrats held a listening post on Medicaid last Monday. While they did that the Branstad Administration released a report that stated the error rate was close to what under the new system?
20) Today is a big day in the Catholic Church as who is declared as a saint today?
Xtra credit) The Trump campaign just hired David Bossy. Bossy has spent most of his life doing what?
The greatest thing about college football is cool weather is just around the corner.
1) Mexico will NOT pay for it. period
2) Richard Pryor
3) Jeff Flake of Arizona
4) Paul LePage of Maine
5) September 29th
6) Corn Feed. food and politics – a great combination.
8) May 1 – international workers day
9) Colin Kaepernick. hey Trump – ever heard of free speech?
10) the Cuban Missile Crisis
11) the 8 hour working day
12) New York City
15) Brigham Young
18) scripted. This was reported by the NY Times
19) zero. Based on the listening post, it is once more very hard to believe Branstad
20) Mother Theresa
Xtra credit) chasing the Clintons and making up false stories about them. Very Preidential, Donnie
Have a safe holiday. We need each of your votes this year.
If finding out that we may have another earth like planet to escape to after we destroy this one wasn’t enough there was also exciting news in the health and another astronomical mind boggler.
In the other story concerning space, astronomers seem to have discovered a galaxy made up mostly of dark matter. This, to our minds, strange galaxy seems to be about the same size as our galaxy but made almost entirely of dark matter. Something truly tangible for astronomers to study. So when you look into the night sky the darkness may not be just empty space. Keep watching this one for future discoveries concerning dark matter.
Here on earth, a major discovery has been made in how cancer spreads throughout the body. This is a major step in figuring out how to stop cancer from spreading. As noted in the article
“Catching these secondary growths is incredibly important, because most cancer deaths are caused not by the original tumour, but by the cancer spreading.” If that spread can be stopped, many lives may be saved.
Such exciting news. It is too bad that Republicans don’t believe in science, because discoveries like this could really add hope to their lives.
BTW – that trip to the new earth is only about 25,000,000,000 miles. Pack accordingly
Were you paying attention?
1) In a speech in Reno, Nv. Hillary Clinton tied Donald Trump to what new group on the right?
2) In Atlanta, GA., Martin Blackwell was sentenced to 40 years in prison for pouring boiling water on a couple because they were what?
3) In France, officials banned beach wear often worn by Muslim women known as what?
4) Iowa 4th district congressional candidate Kim Weaver called for legalizing what as a soil and water conservation measure in Iowa?
5) Which candidate dispelled rumors of health problems by appearing on Jimmy Kimmel’s show and opening a jar of pickles?
6) This date in 1963 the march on Washington took place. Who was the originator and main organizer of this march?
7) What Louisiana KKK leader celebrated Trump’s hiring of Steven Banon by stating with a guest on his radio show stating “We have taken over the Republican Party”?
8) Donald Trump appealed to what group for their votes by proclaiming “What the hell do you have to lose”?
9) The Clinton Foundation has come under attack recently by Republicans. How many people worldwide has this Foundation been estimated to have helped?
10) After doing some of that illegal over the TV diagnosis on Hillary Clinton, what doctor has had his TV show canceled?
11) A man in Manchester, England died in 2014 from a lung disease. In a paper published this week it was revealed that the man died from mold growing in his what? (hint: musical instrument)
12) August 31st, 1786 what rebellion began in Massachusetts that would in some degree lead to a constitutional convention to strengthen the central federal government?
13) The epipen made news this week with a 400% rise in price. The CEO of the company that is the only manufacturer of the epipen has what tie to congress?
14) What Iowa congressman called for Republicans to unite behind Donald Trump, despite Trump’s moves to the extreme right?
15) The Iowa Utilities Board in an emergency meeting voted 3-0 to deny a request from which group in the Dakota Pipeline eminent domain dispute?
16) September 2, 1945 President Truman officially declared what?
17) Yet another sexual harassment lawsuit has been filed against Fox News by what former Fox News host?
18) Speaking to Der Spiegel in Germany, what former Bush administration “architect of the Iraq War” said he will probably vote for Hillary Clinton?
19) Iowa’s own anti-immigrant stalwart Steve King said he is “uneasy” with the softening by who on immigration?
20) Well known British racist leader Nigel Farage joined what candidate for a rally in Jackson, Mississippi last week?
Is it already time for college football again? By golly it is! Go Hawks!
1) the alt-right. Trump’s new campaign manager is one of the leaders of the movement.
4) industrial hemp – smart idea
5) Hillary Clinton
6) A. Phillip Randolph
7) David Duke
9) 400 million including some 11 million who get AIDS medication
10) Dr. Drew – on CNN
11) bagpipe which he played daily
12) Shays Rebellion
13) She is the daughter of West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin
14) Rod Blum – grab that anvil while you sink Rod
15) landowners whose land the pipeline will cross
16) Victory over Japan day!
17) Andrea Tantaros
18) Paul Wolfowitz.
19) Donald Trump
20) Donald Trump