Archive for March 12, 2017
The following is a letter to the editor from Larry Hodgden of Tipton. Larry is an Army veteran and former chair of the Cedar County Democrats.
A recent Gazette letter reminded me of this warning to all of us. Reverend Martin Niemoller wrote this in June 1945 after being freed from a Nazi prison.
“First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew. Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the Social-Democrats and I did not speak out because I was not a Social Democrat. Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist. Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.”
One thing that Niemoller failed to mention was all this happened after the Nazis took control of the press and filled the airwaves with their propaganda. This should be a sobering message for us all as we contemplate the message and actions coming from the Trump administration.
History is filled with examples of charismatic, demagogic individuals who, with the silence of an uninformed and fearful public, gained autocratic power and then eliminated the freedoms, rights and dignity of the citizens while committing horrendous crimes against humanity. Who’s going to speak out for the 92 million citizens who did not vote? Who’s going to speak out for our children regardless of their parent’s immigration status or their religious, ethnic, gender, economic and disability status?
Trump, and his Republican enablers, are coming after the press, coming after Muslims and Hispanics, coming after public education, coming after Medicare and Social Security, coming after the environment, coming after women’s health care, coming after gay rights, coming after gun safety, coming after the unions, coming after mental health care, coming after your neighbor.
I’m reminded of Mad Magazine from the 60’s and its motto, “What, me worry?”. So why should I worry? They are not coming for me…. yet!
Can’t even begin to say how much I hate daylight savings time. So here we go again with our annual sleep deprivation game. DST especially didn’t make sense when the kids were standing out in the snow in the dark waiting for school buses. In case you forgot, DST start dates were moved to accelerate sales of BBQ materials in the spring and Halloween candy in the fall. If we must have DST I wish we would move it back to the end of school/ start of school starting and ending dates.
Were you paying attention? I can’t see how anyone wouldn’t be paying attention these days.
It is women’s history month so we will include a few questions on women.
1) Rep. John Shimkuss hit a new low even for Republicans when he questioned why men should pay for what medical service through their insurance?
2) The country has been stunned by what ridiculous claims that the current president tweeted concerning the previous president last Saturday?
3) Rep. Jason Chaffetz of Utah said on CNN this week that Americans may have to choose between paying for health insurance or buying what?
4) What female Hispanic labor organizer cofounded the United Farm Workers in 1962 with Cesar Chavez?
5) The president of what country was impeached and forced from office in response to a corruption and cronyism scandal Friday?
6) The grocery industry in Iowa seems to be the only backer of a bill that would end what 39 year old recycling program in Iowa?
7) During WWII what actress invented frequency hopping communication technology that was instrumental in the Allies winning the war?
8) Women across America are getting tattoos of what statement uttered by Mitch McConnell about Elizabeth Warren?
9) Another stunner this week was the revealing of what long promised Republican bill?
10) Bomb threats and graveyard desecrations continue across the country against what ethnic/ religious group?
11) The statue of “Fearless Girl” was erected where to commemorate International Women’s Day?
12) Our current president loves Wikileaks. What did Wikileaks leak this week that could be very detrimental to the US?
13) Poachers in Paris broke into a zoo and killed a young white rhino in order to get what?
14) What landmark limestone arch collapsed into the sea after a storm in Malta last week?
15) What woman is generally given credit for launching the environmental movement with her book “Silent Spring”?
16) The head of what federal agency said this week that he was unconvinced that carbon dioxide was the main driver for climate change?
17) Elections will be held in the Netherlands Tuesday. How will ballots be counted for this election?
18) What native American woman was instrumental in the exploration of the American west?
19) In an odd juxtaposition, in order to pay for the border wall with Mexico, the administration called for cutting finds from what agencies?
20) Former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn was outed as a paid agent of what foreign country while serving in the Trump campaign?
“What he represents, above all, is the triumph of an underworld of predators, hustlers, mobsters, clubhouse politicians and tabloid sleaze that festered in a corner of New York City, a vindication of his mentor, the Mafia lawyer Roy Cohn, a figure unknown to the vast majority of enthusiasts who jammed Trump’s rallies and hailed him as the authentic voice of the people.” – Sidney Blumenthal
1) pre-natal check ups. Hey Shimkuss that baby might just be a boy!
2) That Obama had ordered the current president to be wiretapped.
3) Iphones. Maybe Chaffetz could not buy enough iPhones to afford a brain.
4) Dolores Huerta
5) South Korea
6) the bottle bill
7) Hedy Lamarr – the technology was called spread spectrum
8) “nevertheless, she persisted”
9) the republican health care replacement bill.
11) on Wall Street being placed on the same pad as the raging bull
12) the CIA’s hacking tools. No doubt Russia was glad to see this
13) his horn. Rhino horn is a highly prized aphrodisiac in Asia
14) the Azure Window
15) Rachel Carson
16) the head of the Environmental Protection Agency (Scott Pruitt)
17) by hand due to fear of hacking of electronics. Sounds like a great idea
18) Sacajawea of course
19) the Coast Guard and the TSA