To prepare to enroll, you can learn about types of health coverage, research your questions, and figure out what you need to know before open enrollment begins.
Click here to go to the IOWA page to apply for coverage, compare plans, and enroll. Learn more about the Marketplace and how you can get ready.
Open enrollment starts October 1, 2013.
Jan 1 Coverage Begins
Mar 31 Open Enrollment Closes
These are the major provisions of Obamacare/ACA:
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act will eliminate lifetime and unreasonable annual limits on benefits
- Prohibit recision of health insurance policies
- Provide assistance for those who are uninsured because of a preexisting condition
- Require coverage of preventive services and immunizations
- Extend dependent coverage up to age 26
- Develop uniform coverage documents so consumers can make apples-to-apples comparisons when shopping for health insurance
- Cap insurance company non-medical, administrative expenditures
- Ensure consumers have access to an effective appeals process and provide consumer a place to turn for a
assistance navigating the appeals process and accessing their coverage
- Create a temporary re-insurance program to support coverage for early retirees
- Establish an internet portal to assist Americans in identifying coverage options
- Facilitate administrative simplification to lower health system costs