Archive for October 28, 2012
Please Join AFl-CIO President Ken Sagar and Scott County Democrats in Press conference tomorrow at 12:00PM
AFL-CIO President Ken Sagar and Scott County Democrats Will Ask Romney to Level with Voters in Iowa
On Monday, instead of finding themselves on the receiving end of Romney’s usual platitudes and criticisms about what’s wrong with America, Iowa Democrats and labor leaders are asking Mitt Romney to level with voters and provide specifics about his plans.
What: Press Conference with Iowa AFL-CIO President Ken Sagar and Scott County Democrats
When: Monday, October 29, 2012, 12pm
Where: The Corner of 210th Street and 130th Avenue/Wisconsin Ave, Davenport, IA
“Throughout this campaign, Mitt Romney has shown that he will say anything to get elected. And now with only nine days left before Election Day, he is attempting to simply run out the clock by refusing to offer specific details on how his plan will actually create jobs in Iowa, and that’s unacceptable,” said Ken Sagar, President of the Iowa Federation of Labor. “Mitt Romney’s candidacy stands in direct contrast with President Obama, who has implemented a balanced and straightforward plan that places a priority on manufacturing, the auto industry, expanding the wind industry and preventing a tax hike on middle class families.”
Contact: Michael Hunt, Communications Director, IDP
Do not forget what women mean to the Republican Party. Basically your worth is measured as a carrier of babies. They do not care about your health, they do not care about your rights, they do not care that you are treated as a second class citizen in pay and benefits. Yet they want your vote.
I hope you give back to them in the way they deserve. I am sure my daughters and my wife will. They know who fights for them and who doesn’t.
Vote for Obama. Vote for Dave Loebsack, Bruce Braley, Christie Vilsack or Leonard Boswell. And be sure to vote for Democrats for state offices. If you don’t, you will find medical procedures closed off to you in Iowa as they are in Mississippi and South Dakota just to name a couple of states.
Vote as if your life and the lives of your families depend on it, because this time it truly does.
Can you remember…..?
1) Let’s start with an easy one. Who was the Lieutenant governor under Tom Vilsack?
2) Tom Harkin was first elected to the senate in 1984. Who did he defeat in that election?
3) November 1972. Iowa’s Republican Senator Jack Miller is defeated by an up and coming anti-Viet Nam War candidate. The new senator was …?
4) A legend in Iowa, a former Republican turned Democrat. This man went from a near suicide to governor and US Senator in the 1960s. Do I need to say more?
5) The burgeoning labor movement and urbanization in Iowa helped this man win two terms as governor in 1956 and 1958. Can you remember….?
6) This man has a checkered life story, former 1st district congressman, married to a congresswoman, convicted of multiple fraud charges and finally, Chelsea Clinton’s father-in-law.
7) Once upon a time, Iowa had 6 districts. The sixth district is now part of the fourth. It was conservative for the most part, but for 12 years it was represented by this liberal, populist businessman who was also famous for his tackle business.
8) Unfortunately, this fine senator lost to Grassley in 1980. Things have never been the same.
9) Iowa’s old 2nd district was essentially today’s first district. This man from Dubuque was a congressman from 1975 to 1979 and later ran for governor in 2006.
10) This man well known in Iowa democratic circles had a very brief stint as governor when his boss was elected US Senator in 1969. Sadly he would be the last democratic governor for 30 years.
Bet you are surprised by how many of these folks you remember. Let’s put some more democrats in office so I can do this quiz again in a couple years. ANSWERS?? I’ll give you answers:
1) Sally Pederson
2) Roger Jepson
3) Dick Clark
4) Harold E. Hughes
5) Herschell Loveless
6) Ed Mezvinsky
7) Berkley Bedell
8) John Culver
9) Michael Blouin
10) Robert Fulton