Archive for October 21, 2012
One thing that has simply confounded me during the general election campaign is that Romney continues to get at least a 44% level of support pretty much since the beginning. This guy is perhaps the worst candidate in history and yet just shy of half the population claims they will vote for him. H. L. Mencken‘s most famous quote “No one in this world has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby” seems to have been made for this very situation
From day one of the primaries, Romney has flip-flopped and lied as he felt was needed. He drowned his opponents in oceans of cash, even though his opponents were probably one of the worst collections of politicians ever. He has lied from day 1 and constantly changed positions. All his life he has been kowtowed to. The guy is a jerk. He has ruined thousands perhaps millions of lives in his own country with his business practices.
And he is no patriot. Were he a patriot he would willingly pay taxes on monies he earned in America to keep our society strong. Just like running an election or running a business, money is the fuel to keep government strong. When our leading citizens hide their money in offshore accounts, that means they have no faith in their own government. And this guy wants to lead the country that he himself has no faith in, that he himself refuses to support.
It’s like he owned a restaurant but won’t eat there because you know the food is bad cause you have poisoned it. Or maybe a better analogy would be that he were CEO at Johnson and Johnson yet held stock in Procter and Gamble and Unilever, etc. And now to hear that he is invested in China is like the ultimate slap in the face. Maybe they will take you in after you lose. It would be to America’s shame that we would elect someone who can’t even support the country 100%.
Yet nearly half the people will vote for Romney. I was frankly ashamed that the Republican Party would even proffer such a piss poor candidate and citizen. I can’t for the life of me understand why any American would vote for him or how they could justify it. He has stated time after time his policies will be the same that nearly crashed the world economy. The only policy that he has consistently backed is yet more tax cuts for the rich from which he will get a huge personal benefit. The rest of us can starve and freeze.
I have yet to her a truly legitimate reason to vote for a guy who won’t even fully support his country.
Great Rant From Maddow.
For those who missed it, Rachel Maddow had one of the greatest rants I have yet heard on right wing media and the fact free bubble in which they exist. When Mitt Romney looked so surprised by Candy Crowley’s statement of facts on Obama’s Libya statement it was because his buddies at Fox “News” had been lying to him and he took it as truth. Whoops! Catch it here.
Republicans At All Levels Remember This
Come November, Women Will Remember!
Listing: Republican Enemies – Are You One?
Some folks can sum up a great thought in a few well chosen words. And sometimes we like to ascribe the ability to do so to folks we really admire. And in doing so we sometimes attribute great thoughts to the wrong great person.
Today we will just have a simple matching quiz to warm the brain up for a day of raking all them leaves.
1) “The most important family policy, urban policy, labor policy, minority policy, and foreign policy America can have is an expanding entrepreneurial economy of high-wage, high-skilled jobs.”
2) “War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other’s children.”
3) “If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.”
4) “We stand today on the edge of a new frontier – the frontier of the – a frontier of unknown opportunities and perils – a frontier of unfulfilled hopes and threats.
5) “A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.”
6) “If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read: “President Can’t Swim.”
7) “I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
8) “Never give in and never give up.”
9) “The very word ‘secrecy’ is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.”
10) “When times are tough, constant conflict may be good politics but in the real world, cooperation works better.”
11) “I never did give anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell.”
12) “The vote is the most powerful instrument ever devised by man for breaking down injustice and destroying the terrible walls which imprison men because they are different from other men.”
13) “John F. Kennedy was the victim of the hate that was a part of our country. It is a disease that occupies the minds of the few but brings danger to the many.”
14) “A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people.”
15) “If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.”
16) “Do you realize the responsibility I carry? I’m the only person standing between Richard Nixon and the White House.”
17) “There are those who say to you – we are rushing this issue of civil rights. I say we are 172 years late.”
18) “You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.”
19) “Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.”
20) “Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate.”
And the choices for answers are:
So many great quotes from this group. They all had a compassion for their fellow man in common. Plus they were all great Democratic leaders and all but one a president. Hard to limit the quotes, there are so many good ones. But here are the answers:
1) g) WJC
2) f) JEC
3) c) JFK
4) c) JFK
5) a) FDR
6) d) LBJ
7) a) FDR
8) e) HHH
9) c) JFK (you hear that ALEC?)
10) g) WJC
11) b) HST
12) d) LBJ
13) d) LBJ
14) a) FDR
15) b) HST
16) c) JFK
17) e) HHH
18) b) HST
19) a) FDR
20) c) JFK
Boy that Kennedy, what a quote machine.