Whoa – is it that time of the year already? Time for some of the most fun parades on this world or Kolob! Well, I don’t know a lot about gay pride week, but that has never stopped me before. So let’s see what we can learn about gay history.
1) Gay pride week is generally around the time of what major event in Gay history?
2) Which city claims the largest Pride parade of all?
a) New York City
b) San Francisco
c) Los Angeles
3) Although not called a ‘Gay Pride’ parade, when did the first march take place and where?
a) 1975 San Francisco
b) 1974 Toronto
c) 1970 New York City
d) 1968 Los Angeles
4) Which of the following are symbols of the Gay Pride movement
a) the pink triangle
b) the rainbow flag
c) the small case Greek letter lambda
d) All of the above
5) An award is given to the Los Angeles area lesbian for leadership in the lesbian community each year. The award is named for entertainer:
a) Melissa Ethridge
b) Ellen Degeneris
c) Molly Ringwold
d) Leslie Gore
6) Which female country singer risked bad publicity and recently came out in favor of same-sex marriage?
7) In 2010, which major female country singer came out as gay?
8) Which gay writer was able to turn the name “Santorum” into an online google joke as revenge for Santorum’s anti-gay stance?
9) In 1992 this gay writer caused a scandal on NPR with his story “SantaLand Diaries” in which he descibes a crush on another male elf?
10) Can you name the states and / or US territories that currently have legalized same-sex marriage?
Ha-Ha, pretty tough questions, no? Well let’s get some answers so you can get off to the parade! (oops – I think Iowa City’s was yesterday)
1) The police raids at the Stonewall Inn in Greenwich Village in NYC on June 28th, 1969. The Stonewall Riots ensued the next days.
2) b) San Francisco – well it is their claim.
3) c) 1970, NYC – in commemoration of the Stonewall riots the previous year
4) d) all of the above
5) a) Melissa Ethridge
6) Carrie Underwood
7) Chely Wright
8) Dan Savage – go ahead and google Santorum to see if this is still true.
9) David Sedaris
10) Massachusetts was first, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Iowa, District of Columbia, Vermont, New York.
Maryland has passed legalization and Governor O’Malley signed the bill but it has been put on the ballot for this fall.