Archive for February 26, 2012
I read the above line in a story on DailyKos Wednesday. It really got me. This is a procedure that is some cases is needed to save a woman’s life. This means that in all but only a sliver of America a woman can be condemned to death due to pregnancy complications. This is so pre-20th century and totally stupid.
There is no comparable situation for men. If there were make no doubt that it would be dealt with quickly.
As a father of daughters, a husband and a person who has many women as very close friends, I find it hard to believe that these citizens of the United States are denied medical care for conditions that are specific to them by a democratic political system. Unbelievable that our politicians use the medical system to punish women for being women.
No better reason to say it is time to vote some Democratic women into power.
Speaking of Health Care……
While the health care system has been mandated to punish women for being women, it is also set up in this country to punish the poor, the unemployed and many other groups. Now the the old white man’s power structure known as the Republican Party is pushing giving the power to choose what services are covered or not to the personal beliefs of an employer.
I can think of no better reason to keep pushing hard for single-payer health care system like the rest of the civilized world has.
But the “government” would run it.
I am here to let you in on a secret. YOU are the government. And if you can’t trust the government it is because you elected bad representatives. It is finally time to point the finger where it belong’s – at the voter.
I see a government run Health Care system as one where I should have a voice, whether it be by contacting my congress critter or some other representative who is in the end beholden to the public. Try and complain to the head of BC/BS or United Health Care if you have a problem in our current system.
Thanks to that crazy son of a bitch Rick Santorum for sparking the debate again for the need for a single payer system.
Grassley schools us on the inter-tubes.
If any dude is hip to the tubes, it be the Grass-man. Yo, y’all listen to this dude! He warned you about pullin’ the plug on Granny!
Religion in presidential politics
With the insertion of crazy religious discussion by Rick Santorum into the presidential political landscape, it make me wonder what century we are in? Sounds like the 16th or 17th.
Republicans aim to control people and one of the great tools of control is the use of fear of the unknown that religions can whip up in a second. Once the fear of the unknown is raised, then they can deploy their solution to that fear – follow me, do what I say and send me money. Most of the problems we have are not of unknown origin and they are solvable with the use of logical research and reasonable thought.
Heaven help the Republicans if Americans ever start thinking.
Seriously, Santorum – Satan is attacking the US? Seriously? Looks like the product of bad Republican policy to me!
An atheist in charge?
Contrasting the USA’s seeming demand for politicians to talk and act like holy people, there is a country in the western world where the leader is an avowed atheist. The country is Australia and the leader is Julia Gillard. She has been in office since June 2010. Unless you count some of the extreme weather that Australia has experienced in the past few years as vengeance from God, Ms. Gillard’s administration has been pretty normal. She will be facing a leadership challenge from Kevin Rudd Monday (Sunday here) in the Labor Party.
Run! There is a Girl Scout at the door!
Newest enemy of the corporate stooges aka Republican Party - the girl scouts.Let’s be honest, the only thing that scares Republicans about girl scouts is that they teach girls to be independent and strong. We are former girl scout leaders and parents of girl scouts and proud of the kids we worked with in girl scouts.
Republicans push VMI
Yep – the newest push for Republicans is VMI – Vaginal Management Initiatives. Like many in product management lack of knowledge of the product is no deterrent to them managing it.
I ran across a story this week that a theory by Alan Turing had been proven. As I read this article, it could have some significance in explaining the mechanics of evolution. (I may be wrong). We will have a question on this man who had a quite significant role in history that many never heard of. He is but one of many LGBT people who have contributed hugely to man’s advancement. But many have gotten little credit, or have hidden their sexuality. Can you name some of these LGBT contributors?
1) OK – What did Alan Turing do that was so significant? – hint it was WWII
a) interpreted Mein Kampf to figure out what Hitler’s next moves were.
b) perfected Britain’s response to Germany’s V2 rockets.
c) created the machine that broke Germany’s Enigma code, thus the Allies were able to know Nazi moves ahead of time.
d) created the post war recovery plan.
2) One of the great behind the scenes movers and shakers in the civil rights movement was a gay man named
a) Bayard Rustin
b) E. D. Nixon
c) Homer A. Plessy
d) A. Phillip Randolph
3) There seems to be much evidence that this first lady was lesbian. Funny thing, she is still one of the most respected women ever in history
a) Abigail Adams
b) Eleanor Roosevelt
c) Lou Henry Hoover
d) Dolly Madison
4) This comedian keeps getting attacked for her admitted lesbian life. Yet the more she is attacked, the bigger her audience gets. Recently named spokesperson for JC Penny’s, who is she?
a) Elayne Boosler
b) Paula Poundstone
c) Amy Poehler
d) Ellen Degeneris
5) Let’s reach back for a couple questions. This guy conquered the known world back then. Can’t get much bigger than that. Who is he?
a) Phillip of Macedonia
b) Alexander the Great
c) Ghengis Khan
d) Atilla the Hun
6) This well-known Muslim hero repelled the Christians during the Third Crusade. Often considered to be the greatest Moslem military hero. Who is he?
a) Charles Martel
d) Mehmed the Conquerer
7) This woman fought hard for equal rights for women using her skills with a tennis racket as a springboard for social action.
a) Billie Jean Moffit King
b) Chrissie Evert
c) Martina Navratalova
d) Evonne Goolagong Cawley
8) Once America’s #1 cop, this man often used a form of blackmail on politicians that included references to their sexual proclivities while he hid his. Who is he?
a) L. Patrick Gray
b) William J. Burns
c) Louis J. Freeh
d) J. Edgar Hoover
9) This man helped keep the post-WWII world from turning the cold war hot. He died in an airplane crash on a peace mission in his role as UN
Secretary General. Who was he?
a) Trygvie Lie
b) Dag Hammarskjold
c) U Thant
d) Kofi Anan
10) Well, maybe he didn’t advance humanity, but damn he made me laugh. Pretty much the permanent center sqaure on Hollywood Squares. Who was this master of the one-line retort?
a) Peter Lind Hayes
b) Peter Marshall
c) Paul Lynde
d) Charlie Weaver.
Turing is never given the credit for ending WWII that he deserves. Nor is he given much credit for the predecessor of the computer that he created. The reason many think he gets little credit is that he was homosexual. He died at age 41, most believe he was driven to suicide over his sexuality following a set up outing by British police.
This was kind of an eye opener from me. I got many of the names from this site: http://www.lambda.org/famous.htm
Here we go:
1) c) Turing broke the Enigma code which allowed the Allies to know what when and where the Nazis would strike. Think that wasn’t important?
2) a) Bayard Rustin. He was often shoved into the background because of his homosexuality. He was a brilliant organizer.
3) b) Eleanor Roosevelt. Her name still inspires awe.
4) d) Ellen Degeneris. She is small, but feisty. They try to knock her down, but she comes back with a wallop.
5) b) Alexander the Great
6) c) Saladin. In researching this I discovered that Suleiman was also gay.
7) a) Billie Jean. She worked day and night. remember the stunt where she kicked chauvanist tennis player Bobby Riggs’ butt?
8) d) J. Edgar Hoover who lived for decades with his assistant Clyde Tolson.
9) b) One of the greatest peace keepers ever, Dag Hammaskjold
10) c) Paul Lynde – need some chuckles? go here http://www.classicsquares.com/lyndesquares.html